Friday, December 31, 2004

 

Holiday Reflections

Well, my Christmas in a nutshell blew. I mean, I did have bright spots, good things I'm happy and thankful for. But just to recap, a few updates on the things that sucked:
1. USAIR was the airline able to send me and Andy from State College to Nashville through Philidelphia on Christmas Day for $250. It was also the airline that still has not returned 10,000 bags to passengers after a weekend debacle in Philly. Read the link for more, bottom line Andy and I didn't get our bags until Sunday night.

2. Stomach issues as previously posted, I didn't feel entirely well until Monday and ate gingerly all week. I'm probably the only person I know who lost weight at Christmas (all water weight I'm sure).

3. The obvious. Christmas without Mom. It was weird, it was sad, and I didn't really get in the spirit.

4. Only getting to see Amanda for, like, a couple of hours! I miss seeing the Bradley's on a regular basis. Same goes for the Whites, although seeing them on Monday was a pleasant surprise I hadn't anticipated. Dottie was on the verge of the stomach bug too, and Chuck already had it and missed out on our dinner party.

5. Nana arrived a day late b/c of her stomach woes. What is it with the puking?! Everyone got sick this year!

6. Dad's making changes in life. He took us to see the property he bought at Center Hill Lake and is going to build a house on. I got a Christmas present from his girlfriend Nancy, which was weird. Apparently they're going to come up and visit me and Andy at some point soon. I know it's normal for him to move on, it's just not very comfortable for me and Tara right now.

7. Titans lost. surprise.

8. No snow.

9. Back to work on Tuesday night. The real world doesn't give 4 weeks off for the holidays.

Okay, complaining out of my system.

Now I am going to self-impose guilt for complaining. Last night one of my patients who returned from pacemaker surgery and had many new health issues to complain about made me stop and be thankful for what I have. All she could talk about was the horrific sight of tsunami destruction and how awesome God's power is. We were both sad for all the victims, especially the parentless, hungry children. We couldn't understand why something like this would happen, why God would allow it to happen. It's a question I ask myself a lot about why anything in the last five years has happened. All she could say was, "the Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. I can only pray and be thankful for what I have." I don't blog about God a lot. I don't talk with my patients about god a lot either, even though they do frequently (nursing is a lot of therapeutic listening). I think I'll go to church this weekend. Maybe it's time to figure out where my faith went.

Things I am thankful for: Andy. Getting to see my family and friends on Christmas. Everyone arriving safely in their travels. Having a warm apartment to sleep in, enough (too many) clothes on my back. A job that allows me to make a difference in people's lives at their most pivotal and vulnerable. The prayers of loved ones that I know they send up for myself, my Dad, and my sister. We need them.

Okay, that was deep for me. Next time I'll blog about football or something a little more jenni. :-)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?